Our spring concert will be on Saturday April 2nd, 2022, 7:30 pm and marks our return, after a long absence, to St Paul’s Church, Compstall. Planned works are Gabriel Fauré’s Requiem, Will Todd’s jazzy Stabat Mater, Jonathan Dove’s Bless the Lord, O My Soul, and a couple of pieces from our guest soloists. Continue reading
Selig sind die das Lied teilen…
(And for much the same reason.)
Well, we didn’t all get to sing Brahms’ German Requiem on 4 April 2020 because, along with most of the country, we were self-isolating. However, we did use the the opportunity to sing it separately, but at much the same time. This is what some of us looked like.From this collage, you may deduce that:-
- From the perspective of the choir the most important part of the conductor is the hands.
- It’s really hard to take a selfie while conducting.
- One of us might have wished to be singing something else.
- Singing the requiem really dries your throat out.
- Someone was 200 miles from a bow tie.
- Whilst we might all have had the same score, we were singing different sections.
- One of us takes a professional approach to studio singing.
- Some of us occasionally look up at the conductor.
- It’s possible that one of us is a naturist.
A work exemplifying German musical romanticism, oozing with luscious chords. Eschewing the usual Latin Mass text, Brahms took his text from the Lutheran bible with passages from the gospels of Matthew and John, extracts from other parts of the New Testament and a couple of psalms. Continue reading
Autumn Concert, Saturday November 2nd, 2019, featuring
Requiem by John Rutter
Little Jazz Mass by Bob Chilcott Continue reading
Our spring concert will be on Saturday April 6th, 2019, 7:30 pm at Norbury Parish Church (London Road, Hazel Grove SK7 4RF). Planned works are Maurice Duruflé’s Requiem, Morten Lauridsen’s Lux Aeterna and some crunchy organ music, that is currently a secret shared between our musical director and organist. Continue reading